Tuesday, October 20, 2009

i'm ok you're ok

I don't believe that any one person has more power over another person. Yes some people have a higher status, be it financial or social, but what I mean to say is, I don't think that makes another person "better."

I don't think anyone else has more answers than anyone else. The answers are there, you can work hard to look for them for yourself, or you can go to a trained person and get them quicker. That doesn't mean they will always be right.

I will always believe in therapy and a sixth sense, but I don't believe someone else knows whats right for me. If I really search, and I really listen to what's going on with me, I will always know the right answer.

My shrink isn't there to tell me what to do. She's there to listen to me come to my own conclusions on my own, even if it takes me a while to get there. And that's why she's so good at it. She's never once told me to do or not do anything. This is why I trust her more than anyone else I know.

No one knows my future. Thank God for that. What fun would life be if it were already sorted out? The universe is huge and complex and mysterious and there are things that exist for real, like grey matter and black holes and stars that are really planets and planets that are really stars. Because of that, I'm willing to believe that magical, supernatural, psychic things are possible.

What I also believe is that they aren't as extraordinary as we think. Everyday magical mysterious supernatural things happen, we just take them for granted as being average.

Like flowers that we seep in hot water to make our colds go away, or the sun that makes trees grow for longer than we will ever be alive. And that thing Augusten Burroughs says at the end of Dry: the real miracle is this glass of water sitting here. The real miracle is the fact that it doesn't just up and float away.

I know a lot of people grasp and grab and pull at something big, but I will truly always think this: you don't have to try so hard. You just have to open your fucking eyes.

No one knows you better than you, and if they tell you they do and you believe them, you're playing yourself.

But you know, that's okay too.